Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Assignment 2-2 Icon Analysis

           

            The three contemporary icons that I chose are Michael Jordan, Eminem and The Ultimate Warrior. All three of these icons were popular in the 1990’s. They all rose to the top of their sport (even though wrestling is fake) during this 90’s. Michael Jordan became, arguably, the best professional basketball player of all time. During the 1990’s he led the Chicago Bulls to 6 NBA titles during the decade. Eminem didn’t come around until towards the end of the decade but once he came out with his first album in 1999. He quickly became one of the biggest icons in rap. Even though everyone, or at least I hope everyone, knows wrestling is fake the superstars in it are real. Wrestling has a following comparable to a cult. The Ultimate Warrior was a huge icon in the early 90’s with his high energy entrance and his finishing move the gorilla press. I chose these three icons because I feel that they represent three of the bigger contemporary icons in   the 1990’s. They fed into peoples' emotions which I feel is a big factor in popular culture. Michael Jordan dazzled people with his moves on the basketball court leaving people wonder what he would do next. The Ultimate Warrior also excited people with his high energy entrance and his finishing move the gorilla press. Eminem also excited people with his ability to get people’s adrenaline going with his raps.
            I chose Michael Jordan because, in my eyes, he was the ultimate icon. While growing up in the 90’s I was borderline obsessed with Jordan. My room was covered in memorabilia and when I played basketball I really did “try to be like mike”. Regardless of what many people think, I believe that Michael Jordan will forever be the best NBA player ever.
            The Ultimate Warrior brings back memories from my childhood. I think that is why I chose him. I remember watching wrestling after church on Sundays around noon. I remember hearing his entrance music come on and seeing him run to the ring and violently shake the ring ropes.    
            Eminem is still a pop icon today. Hearing his music reminds me of my final years of high school. That is all anyone listened to when we took our senior trip to Myrtle Beach, SC. I even went as far as to dye my hair, along with most of the people in my grade, platinum white for graduation.
            I guess the main reason that I chose these three icons is the fact that they bring back fond memories of my childhood. They were the people that were popular when I was growing up and they are icons that I will never forget.

No comments: